Sunday, March 20, 2005

The Madness of March

And that is is - mad, like crazy! It has been awhile since I have blogged, although I have no reasons why. I suppose the novelty of journaling got a much needed vacation for a week. The craziness continues, however, on many fronts - one of which is the road to the final four and my OSU Cowboys are kicking butt and taking names!

I haven't had too many good car rental stories, although I suppose I did fail to mention the drug dealer who got busted in a car of ours after he stole it from his girlfriend and stashed his 2 1-gallon bags of weed in the backseat. We cleaned it up really well, but it was a chore. Did I fail to tell you about that one? - well just comes with the teritory I suppose. Oh, if these cars could talk...

So I was at our satellite location north of town in Fremont, MI, last week for 2 days. It is at a Chevy dealership and I have a cubicle near the front for conducting my business. Just me. Solo mio. I am the only Enteprise guy there. On Friday this guy comes in the dealership, looking lost, and walks to my humble abode. Then he points at me.

So I pointed at me too. I didn't want him feeling alone or strange. I point at me all the time. I won't offend me. And with a smirk I asked, "me?"

"Are you a born again Christian?" he asks. Like a well tuned tennis player I retort, "yes I am." He fires again, this time with "do you go to church regularly?" I take aim - "yup." And then he brought out the big guns: "do you tithe consistently, your ten percent?" He had me on that one. I sat up straight in my chair, raised my head and replied, "nope." (For further discourse on this subject, ask me personally. And yes, it does involve a soapbox with the phrases "for building a gym," "old testament law" and the word "goat.")

So the man, who is wearing several coats and baggy navy blue sweatpants with the inseam slightly elevated above the knee, says to me, "well I want to buy a car from a christian who gives the money he makes off me back to the Lord." I told him that I wasn't a car salesman, but that I had great weekend specials on rentals. "Here, take my card." "I don't want that!" he chirped back, hastily. I rose to my feet. The battle line had been drawn.

He preoceeded to lecture me on how he was not going to buy a car from someone who spent his loot on sinful things, like bars and women. But that he would find a salesman who would give his ten perecent back to the Lord. I said a few "amens" in there while he spoke, one or two "I hear that brother"s, and even a "yes, I am that baby's daddy" (kidding...Layne, Mom... that was a joke. :) ) I sent him on his way with a good luck and a pat on the back.

There are religious people in the world. Then there are heathens. In the middle you have people like you and I - and then a variation of sanity differentiates us. Mr. Tenpercent was a couple tacos short of a combo platter, but he sure looked warm in his 4 jackets.

One for the homies,
joshua h.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

maybe he has been taking ten percent of other people's clothing. And he would like to give you ten percent of his body lice and odor. But he would not like to give up even ten percent of his beard.