Thursday, March 03, 2005

PS: This is for the good times

I can see how being up here all winter, when you can't be outside because it is so cold and cloudy can make a person get cabin feever or depressed. I am ready to be able to get home from work and have it be light outside and 80 degrees. The inability to enjoy the outdoors is hard on me - I am an active person and staying inside all night is sometimes tough. Tonight it was a little bit that way.

There is a guy at work named Dan who I just met today. He hasn't been in in awhile. A funny kind of guy, quirky and a love for talking with people. Just a good ol' boy. I bet in a past life he was from Oklahoma. :) Anyway, he was telling me that people think he is not too smart, but that he has a motto, from the movie Song of the South (which is no longer availabel because of political correctness issues). He says this:

"Briar bear and briar fox - they think I'm dumb.
But they don't know me -
they don't know I grew up in the briar patch."
Einstein has met his match.
Pray that God doesn't let me lose strength to be a light in the darkness that is up here.
"If you still can hear me singin'
to the people who don't listen
to the things that I am sayin'
prayin' someones gonna hear?
I guess I'll die explainin' how
the things that they complain about
are things they could be changin'
hopin' someones gonna care?
I was born a loneley singer
and I'm bound to die the same
but I've got to feed the hunger in my soul.
If I never have a nickel
I will never die ashamed
Cause I won't believe that no one wants to know."
I ain't sayin I beat the devil, but I drank his beer for nothin' - then I stole his song.
joshua holland

No comments: