Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Playing hookie

As I was heading back to work today after my lunch break, my boss Neal called and said "why don't you flex out this afternoon?" I wasn't about to hesitate. So...I have the rest of the day off! I have a meeting tonight at 7 at the office, but that should only last an hour. I feel like I am back in college and skipping class or something. Ah, the days of my youth...mayhaps I will take a nap.

I was thinking today about how we judge people by looking. Last week we had a car reserved for the president of a big bank in Michigan. We made sure to have the exact car he requested on the lot when he arrived. When he came in, I never would have guessed that he was the president of a bank. Ballcap, sunglasses, 5 o'clock shadow, blue jeans...he looked like someone who hadn't been employed in some time.

It got me to thinking today (sometimes I have to let things like that sink in) that we should serve everyone as if they are the most important dignitary we will meet that day. Why treat people differently and with more respect because they have money or power? Shouldn't we treat everyone that way? And you know what else? I HATE the phrase "white trash" or "trashy"! Why would we ever want to make an analogy between refuse and a person.

All things things wise and wonferful,
All creatures great and small,
All things bright and beautiful,
The Lord God made them all.
josh

No comments: